Jen's Reviews > Frozen Fire

Dec 15, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: ya-fiction
Read in December, 2008

I learned by reading this book that "psychological thriller" means "a book where nothing happens". There are pages and pages and pages where the only action is the main character walking down a snowy lane. The text is all vague imagery of light and snow and heat and cold and endless obsessions over the character's missing brother. There is certainly some suspense - enough to keep me going up to the bitter end, even, but by then I was skimming and speed reading just to see if the story improved by the ending. It didn't.

Another thing I learned by reading this book: apparently teenagers can't spell to save their lives when sending text messages. I get that you use a lot of abbreviated lingo when texting, but some of the exchanges made the characters sound like morons. Not sure if this is meant to be an indictment on public education, or if the author really thinks 15-year-olds are that stupid, but either way it was distracting from the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frozen Fire.

05/07/2016 marked as: read

Nicole I couldn't have said this better myself. I read the book more just so I could finish it and move on. I knew it wouldn't get any better, though I hoped for some spectacular ending that didn't come. About the text message part, I'm a teenager (19 but still) that texts a decent amount and I barely understood what they were saying so that kind of threw me off as well.

Kellie Trujillo I agree.. just finished the book.. i was so disappointed.. although you were more generous than me. i gave it 1 star lol

message 3: by cook777 (new)

cook777 I didn't read the book and didn't see the text in it but I have got a cell phone that did belong to someone in middle school and the text I found on there was most part unreadable. (they didn't delete it seems) All the words were spelled strange to make it shorter I guess, I found it unreadable for the most part.

Just a thought.

Kellan Marvel This review couldn't have been any better. I was thinking the same thing the entire time. I just wanted to finish the book and get it over with.

message 5: by Allison (new)

Allison I could not Finnish the book i just couldn't...

message 6: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel I agree. It took EFFORT to get through this tedious book.
Although, I have to disagree about the psychological thriller part. Beautiful Malice and Sweet Damage (both by Rebecca James) are the best psychological thrillers I have read so far, and they couldn't be more opposite to this waste-of-a-psychological-thriller book.

Katheryn It says paranormal thriller not psychological thriller. The book was terrible though.....

message 8: by Molly (new) - added it

Molly Mather Personally, I loved it. About the texting thing, speaking as a young person, that is exactly how 95% of young people text. I don't, but most do, and it wouldn't look right if you were to have teenagers texting using proper grammar as that just isn't realistic.

message 9: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth About the texting thing... no one actually types like that, sure we have slang but I could barely understand it myself when I'm the same age as her, not that it matters. All in all, I liked the book even if it is her just walking around as some of you have said. Then again everyone has their opinions.