Shelley's Reviews > Let It Snow: Three Holiday Romances

Let It Snow by John Green

liked it
bookshelves: christmas, youth

It started off strong and got progressively weaker. Maureen Johnson was fun, John Green all right and Lauren Myracle dismal.

Maureen Johnson's story was super quirky and giggly and slightly ridiculous (in a good way). I liked Jubilee a lot, crazy as she was, and was amused to see a lot of my mother in Stuart's. It was just cheery, fun Christmas fluff.

John Green's kind of drove me nuts. I wanted to like it more, but I guess I am not that adventurous, because I kept thinking that the characters were such massive idiots, but their idiotic actions were the only thing that created a plot. He kept referring to them as oh-so-clever, but they really weren't. They attempted to reach Buffy-level snark and sarcasm and really didn't make it. Also, the cheerleader thing got really old, really fast. I usually love him, so I was disappointed.

Lauren Myracle's was so terrible and I hated every minute. Her main character was a self-absorbed whiny brat and I was stuck in her first person pea brained narrative for the entire thing. The entire thing was, admittedly, about the fact that she was a self-absorbed whiny brat and everyone was calling her on that fact, but her supposed transformation was utterly ridiculous. Also, the last chapter tied up all three of the stories and she massacred all of the characters from the other stories. Any wit and subtlety that the other two authors created, she destroyed. This probably would have gotten four stars if she hadn't written the final chapter and left me with the bad taste.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Let It Snow.

December 15, 2008 – Shelved
December 15, 2008 – Shelved as: christmas
December 15, 2008 – Shelved as: youth
Started Reading
December 23, 2008 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)

Eimear I agree! I loved the first story, liked the second one and was so bored by the third. That also sums up how I felt about the characters in each

Katie Dalton Agreed the first was fun. The second wasn't John Green's best, but still enjoyable. And the third was pathetic.

Caleb Triscari I also agree

Doumínka Totally agree too!!))

Eliza Christine You sum it up so well! I do agree that the last story was a let down, and John Green's characters were my favourite even if they did make stupid (though entertaining) decisions that sort of went against them being smart. I would've given it four stars if not for Myracle's let down of a story.

message 6: by Caitlin (new) - added it

Caitlin I'm in total agreement with everything you wrote. No need for me to write a review!

Princess Lea Amen to that!

message 8: by Cara (new)

Cara I disagree with the John Green bit (I loved the plot and romance) but I completely agree on the Lauren Myracle front. Ugh.

Luize I totally agree with you! I liked the first one and John's story was good too but I really hated the third one. It was so boring and bleh. Also the character was shallow and selfish and whiny, like get over it. Ugh.

Sammie Hellwig Perfect! This sums up the book so well! I really wanted to like the one by John Green but it was stupid! They were risking their lives to see cheerleaders! That was very annoying. I usually like Lauren Myracle's work, also so I was very disappointed with the one she wrote in this book.

Linzy Smith Fully agree. Couldn't have said it better.

Alyza Grace Miranda True that. The 3rd was meh. I wish it were Maureen writing it instead.

haru You literally read my mind!I loved Maureen's Jubilee Express!It was funny and sweet and romantic!John's was okay but not his best.Lauren Myracle's was a horrible ending to the book!

message 15: by Jennai (new) - added it

Jennai You've said exactly what I said and thought about it. Agree!

message 16: by Pallavi (last edited Jul 10, 2014 04:37AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pallavi This basically sums up my feelings on this book. I loved the 1st story, though it was a little over the top at times, it was amusing and I liked the characters. John Green's story was mediocre, the highlight for me was Duke calling out the others for bring sexist towards the cheerleaders, because that was something that had bugged me from the very start. The third story just bugged me, simply because I couldn't stand the protagonist.

Nikki So incredibly well said

Hessa I agree with everything you said there!!John Green disappointed me too.

José Mercado I'm following your reviews just because of this one. I agree with you word for word. I actually read this at a Read-a-thon that we had in my school library and I could see everybody around me engrossed in their books while I just sat in one of the blankets thinking: "When will this be over?".

Emily I total agree John greens characters just needed a lot more development and Lauren's story didn't need to happen

Alexandra I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt this way! I had to force myself to finish the third story, it was terrible! The main character was annoying and I genuinely could not relate to anything that happened during the entire story. And don't even get me started on her "transformation" !!

message 23: by Maria (new) - added it

Maria This is pretty much exactly what I thought.

message 24: by Maaike (last edited Jan 02, 2015 03:00PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maaike I want to yank the third part out and burn it.

Carolina Rosinelli PERFECT!

message 26: by Rute (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rute Afonso I could not agree more, you absolutely nailed this review!

message 27: by Naii (new) - rated it 4 stars

Naii I agree! To a certain extent. XD I absolutely loved Stuart's and Jubilee's story! John green's.. Is was still good. It had that John Green feel to it, but I think it lagged on some parts of it. Addie's and Jeb's.. Uh. Well. It wasn't completely bad. I just didn't like Addie's personality. And then they part they added where that Addie would give light or whatever - totally bullcrap. She seems like the type of girl who is friend at first, but she just can't focus on other people's feeling as much as her own. "Oh, I know I hurt Jeb so much. But my hurt is more depth." That is who the how story is felt as. And then all the angel chiz happened and she changed- is didn't happen. Everything was just rushed and that's the end. Meh.

Winoko21 Your review is spot on! That's exactly how I feel about it!

Reader Perfectly said!

Claire Jensen I also agree.

Louise Perfectly sums it up! At least Myracle didn't write the opening piece- no-one would have finished the book I think x

Valen This is EXACTLY how I feel about this book.

message 33: by Jas (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jas I agree with you although I enjoyed john's story a little more than you did but I do agree about the last story and the last chapter. I had trouble knowing which characters she was talking about most of the time.

Saga Aurora I agree. To be honest I did not even finish the third part. I was extremely annoyed having read only the first ten pages.

message 35: by Byha (new) - rated it 3 stars

Byha totally agree, maureen's was the only one I like

Helena Pruus I couldnt agree more, maureen was THE BEST but from there it kinda got boring.

Ashley Oh my gosh. I couldn't agree more. I was so bummed that the final culmination to all of the stories was left with Myracle because the writing was so, so bad! It could have ended much better.

message 38: by Nina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nina Annuar OMG absolutely agree with you! I actually skipped so much for the third story because I was so annoyed at Addie gosh!

message 39: by Kate (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kate I absolutely agree with you. Quality of the book was decreasing getting progressively. In the end Myracle managed to miraculously ruin all the characters.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Agreed. I would've been happy if the first story was the ending.

Megan A Roth I totally agree.

Megan A Roth I totally agree.

message 43: by Armadillo (new) - added it

Armadillo It seems like most of you are in agreement. I have a few questions. Feel free to answer any question you like.
1. You said that John Green let you down. (DANG. I love a good John Green novel.) How does it compare to one of his books such as Paper Town? Is the difference drastic or no?
2. Is it a (gasp) short read or not?
3. Is it worthwhile?

Rasika Bhargava Well i have read the maureen johnson part and now when i have started the john green part its so confusing like who does "I" stand in this part ?

Chelsea I thought Lauren Myracle's story was alright, though I liked Maureen Johnson's much better. And honestly, I didn't care much for John Green's story which really shocked me because I'm a John Green fan, but there was something so dull about that story, it just wasn't catching.

Chelsea And I agree, the main character in Myracle's story was annoying and bratty.

Verity Page i agree
I enjoyed the first story the most and the last least
but overall wasnt to bad

Kasie Roden I agree

Louise Baaz Totally agree with this! Loved the first story, was a bit disappointed with John Green and didn't care at all for the last one!

message 50: by Sune (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sune De Bruin I feel exactly the same!

« previous 1