Mary Sue's Reviews > Breaking Night: A Memoir of Forgiveness, Survival, and My Journey from Homeless to Harvard

Breaking Night by Liz Murray

Aug 27, 2012

This is truly an amazing and inspirational story. One that I will never forget. Liz's story proves that we are in control of our own lives and our destiny. Her story is definitely heartwrenching as she tells us of her life growing up in a rat infested, filthy NY apartment with her older sister and her drug addicted mentally ill parents. Her parents, who blew through their welfare check each month on drugs and liquor leaving her and her older sister with nothing. I was amazed how she always loved them regardless of their neglect, illnesses and addictions. I was swept away of how strong of a survivor she was, continually overcoming never ending hardships and struggles. As a young teenager, she was homeless, sleeping in stairwells, on the subway, under bridges, or crashing at friends houses once their parents left for the day. Liz was committed to turn her life around and how she belived she could. She is an incredible person and you will constantly be blown away by her strength, maturity and understanding.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breaking Night.