Book Him Danno's Reviews > The Lovers

The Lovers by John Connolly

Aug 27, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, books-sent-by-author-publisher-for

How can you tell a great writer? When he can basically present in book eight of a series 400 plus pages of back story and keep it thrilling.

The top advice given to writers is start with the action; avoid the exposition like the kiss of death. But yet Connolly manages to prove there is always an exception to every rule. His private detective Charlie Parker has always been an interesting character with a much storied past, but there are even parts of if it he was unsure of. With that premise the author threshes out the character of Parker more fully than ever before and we the audience gets to experience it with him. He didn’t even need to resort to using his best supporting characters Louis and Angel except in minor roles.

In all the Charlie Parker books there is a hint of the supernatural, a whisper of something more is going on than just bad luck. Forces that he doesn’t quite understand, and maybe not even fully believe in are at work behind the scenes of his life. With the Lovers we delve into the origin story of these rumors and confirm that there is more to him than what appears. While brilliantly not revealing his whole hand, Connolly manages to whet the appetite of his fans, to leave them begging for more.

When reading these books I am left with the desire to know more about these ancient people and their stories. Who were the Sumerians? What are the lost angels? He tells just enough to start the fire of the reader’s curiosity, all while interlacing it around a solid mystery and a flawed but likable lead character. And what first drew me to Connolly is the skill and time he spends even on the most minor of characters, each one seemingly possessing a personality and story worthy of several books of their own.

Read The Lovers if you want a master class of how to do exposition correctly, and read John Connolly if you want to understand character development. He is one of the best pure writers in the mystery genre today.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lovers.

message 1: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Sheehan I completely agreed with your comments. A great writer. I've his first 7 books in order and will rue the day when I have finish the last.

Johan Rehnstrom I agree. Completely. I truly hope someone will finance his books to become a TV series. I would love to see these characters developed on screen. If the team around such a TV show could bring together what is required to make this come alive, I honestly think it could be the best TV series ever. Thoughts?