Rachelle's Reviews > The Book Thief

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Dec 15, 2008

bookshelves: books-recommended-to-me, book-i-would-recommend, y-a, favorites
Recommended to Rachelle by: Loryn, or was it Heather?
Recommended for: Any one intrested in WWII
Read in January, 2009

This book is amazing.

I thought it would be odd to read something that is narrated by Death, but it worked. Death is dark, poignant, and funny, who knew?

The story is great. I fell in love with the characters. I wanted to know what happened to them. I found myself thinking about the book at the weirdest times. I couldn't wait to get back to it.

Although Death tended to tell you in advance what happens, it didn't take away from the overall effect. I must have cried for the last 50 or so pages. So be warned if you have any kind of heart at all you will cry... a lot.

I am a history nerd. I love it. WWII and the Holocaust have always been of particular interest for me. This book brings a whole new side to life. By choosing to focus in Germany, you find yourself sympathizing with German Characters, which lets face it, doesn't happen a lot.

I loved the author's style. There were lines that jumped off the page. In the middle of the story, there were bits that read more like poetry. I was hooked from, "Needles to say, I vacation in increments. In colors"

I guess what it comes down to is this book is beautifully written. The characters are rich. The story is engrossing. The author pulls you into 1940's Germany.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Thief.

Quotes Rachelle Liked

Markus Zusak
“I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right.”

Markus Zusak
“Like most misery, it started with apparent happiness.”

Markus Zusak
“The only thing worse than a boy who hates you: a boy that loves you.”

Markus Zusak
“It kills me sometimes, how people die.”

Markus Zusak
“I am haunted by humans.”

Markus Zusak
“I wanted to tell the book thief many things, about beauty and brutality. But what could I tell her about those things that she didn't already know? I wanted to explain that I am constantly overestimating and underestimating the human race-that rarely do I ever simply estimate it. I wanted to ask her how the same thing could be so ugly and so glorious, and its words and stories so damning and brilliant.”

Markus Zusak
“Often I wish this would all be over, Liesel, but then somehow you do something like walk down the basement steps with a snowman in your hands.”

Markus Zusak
“A halo surrounded the grim reaper nun, Sister Maria. (By the way-I like this human idea of the grim reaper. I like the scythe. It amuses me.)”

Markus Zusak
“It was a year for the ages, like 79, like 1346, to name just a few. Forget the scythe, Goddamn it, I needed a broom or a mop. And I needed a vacation. ”

Markus Zusak
“He was the crazy one who had painted himself black and defeated the world.

She was the book thief without the words.

Trust me, though, the words were on their way, and when they arrived, Liesel would hold them in her hands like the clouds, and she would wring them out like rain.”

Markus Zusak
“It’s a small story really, about, among other things:

* A girl
* Some words
* An accordionist
* Some fanatical Germans
* A Jewish fist fighter
* And quite a lot of thievery”

Markus Zusak
“She said it out loud, the words distributed into a room that was full of cold air and books. Books everywhere! Each wall was armed with overcrowded yet immaculate shelving. It was barely possible to see paintwork. There were all different styles and sizes of lettering on the spines of the black, the red, the gray, the every-colored books. It was one of the most beautiful things Liesel Meminger had ever seen.

With wonder, she smiled.

That such a room existed!”

Markus Zusak
“After perhaps thirty meters, just as a soldier turned around, the girl was felled. Hands were clamped upon her from behind and the boy next door brought her down. He forced her knees to the road and suffered the penalty. He collected her punches as if they were presents. Her bony hands and elbows were accepted with nothing but a few short moans. He accumulated the loud, clumsy specks of saliva and tears as if they were lovely to his face, and more important, he was able to hold her down.”

Markus Zusak
“I carried [Rudy] softly through the broken street...with him I tried a little harder [at comforting]. I watched the contents of his soul for a moment and saw a black-painted boy calling the name Jesse Owens as he ran through an imaginary tape. I saw him hip-deep in some icy water, chasing a book, and I saw a boy lying in bed, imagining how a kiss would taste from his glorious next-door neighbor. He does something to me, that boy. Every time. It's his only detriment. He steps on my heart. He makes me cry.”

Markus Zusak
“His soul sat up. It met me. Those kinds of souls always do - the best ones. The ones who rise up and say "I know who you are and I am ready. Not that I want to go, of course, but I will come." Those souls are always light because more of them have been put out. More of them have already found their way to other places.”

Markus Zusak
“She leaned down and looked at his lifeless face and Leisel kissed her best friend, Rudy Steiner, soft and true on his lips. He tasted dusty and sweet. He tasted like regret in the shadows of trees and in the glow of the anarchist's suit collection. She kissed him long and soft, and when she pulled herself away, she touched his mouth with her fingers...She did not say goodbye. She was incapable, and after a few more minutes at his side, she was able to tear herself from the ground. It amazes me what humans can do, even when streams are flowing down their faces and they stagger on...”

Markus Zusak
“How does it feel, anyway?"
How does what feel?"
When you take one of those books?"
At that moment, she chose to keep still. If he wants an answer, he'd have to come back, and he did. "Well?" he asked, but again, it was the boy who replied, before Liesel could even open her mouth.
It feels good, doesn't it? To steal something back.”

“A DEFINITION NOT FOUND
IN THE DICTIONARY
Not leaving: an act of trust and love,
often deciphered by children”

Markus Zusak
“The consequence of this is that I'm always finding humans at their best and worst. I see their ugly and their beauty, and I wonder how the same thing can be both. (Death)”

01/05/2009 page 20
3.64% "I'm taking a little break before Breaking Dawn..."
01/06/2009 page 45
8.18% "I love that Death is the narrator!"
01/08/2009 page 109
19.82% "You know that feeling, when you can't wait to get back to a book? That's how I feel now!" 4 comments
01/12/2009 page 330
60.0% "Home sick from work. I'm hoping I can finish today."
show 4 hidden updates…