Nicholas Karpuk's Reviews > The Dark Tower, Volume 2: The Long Road Home

The Dark Tower, Volume 2 by Stephen King

liked it

This is the graphic novel I've been waiting for in regards to the Dark Tower series. It's the first book to delve into the events that happen between "Wizards and Glass" and "The Gunslinger" chronologically speaking.

The good news is that the dialogue is worlds improved in this installment. What amazed me about the first graphic novel was how ham-fisted King's folksy Mid-World dialogue sounded when it was left by itself in little bubbles. Now that Peter David is writing without the training wheels of existing text he's doing a great job.

The story itself is very well done, with some fine poignant moments and really powerful imagery in spots. Seeing how Roland escaped the sinister sphere and what happened to the mentally disabled Sheemie filled in some interesting blank spots in the Dark Tower universe.

But the art is also an issue. I don't know if I've ever read a comic book with so many splash pages and other pages with no more than 2 or 3 panels. At times I really felt like they could have packed twice as much story if they'd simply used a less breezy layout style. Seeing a big fancy page showing the Crimson King's domain is nice and all, but some of us have been waiting a decade or more to read this story, so a little expediancy would be nice when it comes to pacing.

If you've read the Dark Tower books, and enjoyed even the first few, you'll enjoy this book. Everyone else is advised to stay the hell away. Even reading the graphic novel that precedes it won't help you understand what's going on very well since this is the sequel to the adaption of the 4th book of a series.

Otherwise, give it a look, it's more cohesive than the work of the author who created the series has been putting out in the last few years.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Tower, Volume 2.

Started Reading