Kathleen's Reviews > Dreaming the Dark: Magic, Sex, and Politics

Dreaming the Dark by Starhawk

Aug 27, 2012

bookshelves: paganism-earth-based-spirituality, spirituality

I first read this book when I was 15 or 16. I remembered very little of it. I knew it was about the kind of politics that follow from a neopagan worldview (or, Starhawk's brand of neopaganism).

I am so glad that I rediscovered this book! This book is a fantastic statement of the kind of political movements and political bonds that are necessary for truly solving the kinds of problems we face today. Her distinction between power-over and power-from-within is a simple, yet effective conceptual distinction. And her description of hierarchical organizations and power-over as structures of estrangement really touched me.

As someone who reads political theory/philosophy all day and for a living, I can see where this would be a bit off-putting to academic types. It grounds itself in intuitive, metaphysical claims. And it's written for a general audience, so it doesn't conform to the kind of technical, academic language that political theorists/philosophers are used to and respect.

However, I think that political theorists/philosophers would do well to read this book. It's a concise statement of the kind of relationships that we need to be forming.

All that said, I did find some of it a little too touchy-feely for my own liking. But I blame that on my cold, linear, academic training and my general elitism.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreaming the Dark.