Brenda's Reviews > Celtic Blood

Celtic Blood by James John Loftus

Aug 26, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: gift-from-author, reviewing-by-request, aussie-authors, own-read

The story of young thirteen year old Morgund MacAedh and his friend and protector, Seward, starts in Scotland in 1210, where there is much treachery and traitorous villainy afoot. With the murder of Morgund’s father, Kenneth, he must escape before he too is murdered.

On horseback they fled with six men for protection, but after Morgund was betrayed by the very men sent to protect him, it was Seward who saved him, and led him out of Scotland, into England, where he was a fugitive for many, many years. He suffered imprisonment, near death, and extreme hardship, but as he grew to adulthood, he was more and more determined to return to Scotland, and reclaim his heritage.

The history of the MacAedh clan of Scotland, originating with Morgund to be the clan Mackay, is a very interesting one. The intrigue and suspense, along with the horrors of the clan wars kept the pages turning. My only issue with the novel is the lack of editing, which, if done, would turn this into a brilliant historical fiction novel.

I have read and reviewed this novel by request of the author. 3.5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Celtic Blood.

August 26, 2012 – Shelved
August 26, 2012 – Shelved as: gift-from-author
August 26, 2012 – Shelved as: reviewing-by-request
August 26, 2012 – Shelved as: aussie-authors
September 3, 2012 – Started Reading
September 5, 2012 – Finished Reading
September 6, 2012 – Shelved as: own-read

message 1: by Deborah (new) - added it

Deborah Ideiosepius I just met the author Brenda! He walked past my hospital bed, was fascinated by my pile of books and told me about his novel. must find it and read it :)

Brenda Wow that's pretty amazing Deborah! Did you talk about our group and knowing me? I haven't physically met him though! Hope everything is going well for you there. All the best :)