Brett's Reviews > After Many a Summer Dies the Swan

Aug 26, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: classy-fiction, religion
Read from August 26 to October 14, 2012

I actually would give this book 3.5 stars, if half stars were allowed. Huxley, as always, is a talented writer making canny observations about human behavior.

As in his other novels concerned with social behavior and status, the various characters in After Many a Summer seem to represent various types or schools of thought that are made to argue with each other. Some characters Huxley likes better than others, and one is almost certainly a stand-in for his own blooming mysticism. It's a shame that the particular character that he allows to talk so much doesn't really make much sense. With each novel of this period, he appears to be moving closer to his goofball religious tendencies.

What saves the book from being just a middle of the road satire is the strong ending. It is big and dramatic and the sort of over-the-top gesture I don't usually expect from Huxley, and therefore I couldn't be sure what was actually happening until it happened.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read After Many a Summer Dies the Swan.