Elizabeth St.John's Reviews > The Poison Keeper

The Poison Keeper by Deborah Swift

A sumptuous journey through seventeenth-century Italy, Deborah Swift’s gorgeously-written historical fiction novel The Poison Keeper feeds every sense and satisfies all emotions. Totally immersive, I found myself lost in the exquisite details –citizens and architecture, clothing and food, all brought to life with Ms Swift’s beautiful prose. And it doesn’t stop there. Written around the extraordinary true story of Guilia Tofana, a protagonist who defies destiny and creates unheard-of freedom for herself and other women, Ms Swift brings us into the very heart of a poisoner’s lair with authentic recipes and convincing spells that weave their own magic. It’s hard to admit empathy and admiration for a mass-murderess, but such is the conviction of the story and the characters, that I challenge you not to take the side of Guilia and hope she survives her daring. Wonderfully paced, evocative of another era, and yet completely accessible, The Poison Keeper definitely has a permanent place on my bookshelf. Highly recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Poison Keeper.

Finished Reading