Matt's Reviews > Protector

Dec 13, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: science-fiction
Read in January, 2004

I think Niven worked the Protectors into the Ringworld/Known-space universe in order to make this book more popular.

I had a hard time following this story, and only read it because Protectors where involved in the Ringworld Engineers novel.

If I'm not mistaken some the plot elements of this novel were borrowed for an episode or two of Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Protector.

Eric Mortensen Rather than criticize Matt I think his review speaks to the power of this novel. The fact that Matt thinks the story was borrowed from Star Trek TNG when it was first published in 1973 means that the books ideas were powerful enough to be adopted into the standard memes that define twentieth century science fiction thought. What greater compliment for an author?

Matt Eric wrote: "Rather than criticize Matt I think his review speaks to the power of this novel. The fact that Matt thinks the story was borrowed from Star Trek TNG when it was first published in 1973 means that t..."

That is not what I said! I said that at least one Star Trek: TNG episode borrowed plot elements from "Protector" not the other way around. I know when the book was written. There is no denying that Niven is a popular author and I am not surprised more of his ideas didn't make it Star Trek or other TV shows.