Annabel H M's Reviews > Bad Behavior

Bad Behavior by Mary Gaitskill

did not like it
Recommended to Annabel H M by: my list

Sure, well-written I suppose, but unpleasant subject matter and hard-to-like characters made this a tough read regardless.
I'm not big on short stories and I found this demonstrated why: content became repetitive as we kept harking back to the same themes and the author's axe was ground on a minimal variety of topics.
It gave me the same uncomfortableness that a novel like "The Corrections" did, but with much less sense of the absurd and any levity that could come from that.

In summary, 'WHAMPP WHAMMP'.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bad Behavior.

Started Reading
December 13, 2008 – Shelved
December 13, 2008 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Pirate (new)

Pirate Of The Stars Ok, but listen. First of all, the point of a book is not to like the characters. In fact, some authors aim to make their readers hate their characters with a passion! Second..."unpleasant subject matter"? Are you just not okay with mature subjects? I'm not sure what to say for that one...and lastly, the "harkin back to the same themes and the author's ace was ground on a very minimal variety of topics." I'm literally sighing and shaking my head as I read this comment. You do realize what theme is, right? Short stories just happen to brush over a theme much more often then normal books. And the author seemed pretty ground on most topics to me. You just have to pay attention to the little things to see the big picture.
In summary, 'Seriously? Come on!'