Eileen's Reviews > The ring

The ring by Ashweeni Kumar

This book was very different from any book I have read before. At first, I thought it was all going to be about a young Indian man's career path to join the civil service and how his plans kept being thwarted. It had started very intriguingly with the starting lines:
'Around ten years from now when you will be in the epoch of your life... something big is about to happen. You are here with a purpose.'
But then it seemed to be about exams, stress, disappointment and money. I thought it seemed more factual than fiction and it probably wouldn't be my 'cup of tea'; but then it started to pull me in. I began to see how the character Ravi was also getting fed-up and disillusioned with the life he was leading and was on a journey to seek out the real purpose of his life. He sought enlightenment in his travels around the religious sites in India and the people he came across.
This book is very much about the culture and heritage of India, but the messages are universal. It is a very thought-provoking book. The story is very much enhanced by the meaningful verses in each chapter giving one a sense of the oral tradition of myth and legend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The ring.

April 25, 2021 – Started Reading