Perryville Library's Reviews > I Love You, Beth Cooper

I Love You, Beth Cooper by Larry Doyle

Dec 13, 2008

bookshelves: megan, fiction

Larry Doyle wrote for MTV's Beavis and Butthead, and his writing style reflects his biography. I love you Beth Cooper is about Denis, a tragically unpopular valedictorian of an Illinois high school who, in his speech at graduation, confesses the truth about his classmates to an auditorium of hot cranky students and their loved ones. After outing his gay best friend, our main character confesses his love for Beth Cooper, the social queen of the high school. This lands him in trouble with her beefy marine boyfriend and captures a certain degree of Beth’s attention. Typical teenage drama ensues as the ‘night of graduation partying’ proves to be both the best of times and the worst of times of our ‘hero’. The book is written with a comic over exaggeration that lends a caricature-like quality to the novel. The story becomes a twisted amalgamation of all the teen movies you’ve ever seen only written by Larry Doyle. In the edition I read, graphics adorn the beginning of each chapter showing the steeply declining physical state of Denis. While I enjoyed the writing, the characters were fairy unlikeable on the whole and I am admittedly still mired in the middle of the book and tempted to abandon it. I get the feeling I know vaguely how it ends and I think Larry does better than the standard cliché. But if you have a longer attention span than I do, or if you are dying for a book that is Pretty in Pink meets Beavis and Butthead this is the book for you. Even if you don’t read it all the way through, the first couple chapters have some great scenes in them that will give you a taste of Doyle’s writing style which was by far my favorite part of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Love You, Beth Cooper.