Lili's Reviews > Vessel

Vessel by Sarah Beth Durst

Aug 25, 2012

bookshelves: favorites-2012
Read from October 19 to 20, 2012

After reading this book, I'm kicking myself due to the fact that I have never read anything by Sarah Beth Durst before. She caught my attention with the opening line and had me captivated until the last word on the very last page. I'm not going to re-summarize the book because the premise above was unbelievably spot-on, so instead I'm just going to share my favorite aspects of the novel.

The setting of this book and the way it mixes with the plot completely blew me away. This book took place entirely in a desert, so the attention to the detail that went into describing Liyana's home and surroundings completely blew me away. I'm seriously at a loss for words. The incorporation of mythology and usage of gods was mesmerizing. I couldn't get enough of Korbyn.

The romance in this book was incredibly interesting as well. Korbyn is the trickster god that realized several other gods including his beloved Bayla were kidnapped and imprisoned somewhere in the east. He entered his vessel and began hunting down other vessels and that is when he came across Liyana. Liyana is the vessel for Bayla, but he can't help the fact that she is an amazing girl that commands his respect. When Bayla finds a way to communicate with Liayana and Korbyn, you can imagine the antics that ensue.

However, I have to say that the aspect of the novel that I enjoyed most was the characterization. Liyana was such a strong heroine that I couldn't help but respect her. She's dedicated, determined, and loyal. When she believed her goddess abandoned her, she still did everything in her power to help her in case she needed it. The secondary characters were amazing as well. Korbyn was very enjoyable, but you'll find that all of the other vessels will find a place in your heart as well. You know you have an amazing story in front of you when you feel for every single character and get upset when anything bad happens to them. This is one of those books.

Durst is a literary genius that will blow you away with this desert tale. I enjoyed all aspects of the novel and have nothing negative to say, but to stress how much I recommend this to any reader, especially those who love fantasy. As perfect as the ending of this novel was, I wish I could spend more time in Liyana's world. This is one book that'll remain fresh in my mind for a while.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vessel.

10/19/2012 page 35
8.0% "Chapter 3. Poor Liyana!"
10/20/2012 page 109
25.0% "I like Korbyn. Fennik's an arrogant ass. ugh"
10/20/2012 page 217
51.0% "Chapter 17. Oh, poor Raan. The Falcon Clan is horrible!"
10/20/2012 page 324
76.0% "Oh my god, I miss Pia and Fennick! :( Shower break."

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Fine I absolutely loved this book, and Liyana is one of my favorite heroines! I'm so glad you liked it, too!