Mike Finn's Reviews > Smokin' Seventeen

Smokin' Seventeen by Janet Evanovich

Aug 25, 2012

bookshelves: humour, crime

This is a classic Stephanie Plum novel. All of the elements that make these books a fun read are here with just the right balance.

Stephanie and Lulu stumble disastrously through attempts to capture a man in his sixties who is sure he is a vampire and a large man, often naked, usually high and never pleased to be asked to reconfirm his trial date.

The Morrelli or Ranger or both question remains solidly open and Stephanie’s mother adds complexity by introducing Stephanie to a nice neighbourhood boy, recently returned home, who’s greatest desire seems to be to cook for Stephanie. Morrelli’s grandmother pushes the action off the chart when she not only puts the evil eye on Stephanie but curses her with the voodoo, which makes her hunger for more sex than even she can handle.

Of course, cars blow up, funeral homes are visited and at least three people seem to be trying to kill Stephanie.

“Smoking Seventeen” is like returning to a favourite dish and finding that it tastes just as good as you remember it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Smokin' Seventeen.

Started Reading
August 1, 2012 – Finished Reading
August 25, 2012 – Shelved as: humour
August 25, 2012 – Shelved
August 25, 2012 – Shelved as: crime

message 1: by Lisabet (new)

Lisabet Sarai Great review, Mike!

I've found the Stephanie Plum books are a fantastic cure for literary elitism. They're silly fluff, yet still absolutely brilliant. What's remarkable is that even though you know exactly what to expect, they are still laugh out loud entertaining.

One of my life's goals (probably unachievable) is to write dialogue like Janet Evanovich.

Mike Finn I agree, her dialogue is dynamite and she never fails to make me laugh. I felt there was a lull from book 9 onwards where the characters weren't allowed to move but I stilled enjoyed the books. Book 17 rebooted the series for me. I'm going to try book 18 as an audiobook.