5inabus's Reviews > Homecoming

Homecoming by Cynthia Voigt

F 50x66
Aug 24, 2012

bookshelves: fav-s-when-i-was-a-kid

This book packed as good a punch as it did when I first read it more than 20 years ago. Another reviewer elsewhere said that they idolised Dicey so much when they were growing up they actually thought they wanted to be her. I can totally relate to that. I still have a perfectly formed vision in my mind of my mother leaving me in a car parking lot with my three younger siblings while she went away and never came back. I still remember which car parking lot it was (outside Woolworths in Papakura), what colour and make the car was (Green Morris Minor), how hot it was that day (sweltering) and how long it took to get dark (hours).

Of course, in reality, I don't even have younger siblings, it never got hotter than 25 degrees in Papakura, we never owned a green Morry, and my Mum, though she often left me in the car, was frustratingly diligent about returning a few moments later. It's strange because why would anybody wish for such circumstances anyway? What an awful reality Dicey faced when she realised the children were her sole responsibility and that she would have to get them hundreds of miles across the country on foot with no money, to the house of a Great Aunty she'd never met. Worse still, to be met by very unwelcome relatives at the other end when she did finally make it. What a devastatingly tough reality to contend with at any age, let alone 13.

But it is the strength of Dicey's character that attracts you. Her singular determination, her confidence, her good heart and her unwillingness to ever let her spirit be broken. She is a superhero for young girls - and even, it turns out all these years later, mature woman as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Homecoming.

August 24, 2012 – Shelved