jenjn79's Reviews > Unwrap Me

Unwrap Me by Melissa MacNeal

Dec 12, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: 2009, genre-romance-erotic, reviewed, info-full, format-trade-pb, genre-anthologies, published-2008, stars-3
Recommended to jenjn79 by: random buy
Read in January, 2009

I pretty much only bought this anthology because it was Christmas-y and the stories sounded interesting enough. Short erotic stories aren't my favorite to read because they're a bit to superficial. Which was true of this anthology. The book was okay, just not enough depth to really keep my attention.

Story 1, Unwrap Me, by Susan Lyon is about a young-ish woman, Jude, who is pretty much a female Scrooge and Grinch all rolled into one because of some bad experiences around the holidays. She wants nothing to do with Christmas. Then her friend Karen sends her (Karen's) brother as a secret Santa gift when Jude said she wouldn't mind a hot no-strings affair. But what starts as some hot nights together ends up turning into so much more.

This novella was okay. I didn't really find the whole female Scrooge thing for Jude all that interesting. I don't know why, maybe just because the story was so short and more about the sex than about the emotional development. So the story ended up just being a bit of a superficial sex story with a holiday theme. I didn't love or hate it. It was just okay. (Rating: 3 / 5)

Naughty Noelle, the second novella, by Melissa MacNeal, is about a forty-seven year old woman whose marriage and career has recenly fallen apart. So she and her recently widowed mother decided to spent the holidays at the beach. As soon as they arrive, Noelle meets her landlord, thirty-three year old Andy Hathaway. From the first, Andy wants Noelle and tells her straight out. Noelle is shocked. He's fourteen years younger, and after a tepid marriage, she doesn't see herself as sexy. But Andy convinces her otherwise.

I have to admit this was a bit of a strange story, but it was my favorite of the three. It's a bit hokey and quirky, but it was amusing and hot. Just an all-around fun story to read. It's probably not the most realistic, but I just ignored that. I can't say the older woman/younger man thing is something I generally like reading, but I didn't mind it all that much. And Andy was a bit of an oddball. But all the weird little tidbits of this story made it interesting to read. (Rating: 4 / 5)

All She Crave For Christmas by Melissa Randall, the last story in the anthology, is about an almost thirty year old model, Anita, who decides it's time to leave her career and return home to her small town. She's decided to renovate houses and resell them. She bumps into a Dylan one day, a young man she babysat way back when. The attraction is instant and when Dylan, who is working temporarily for his father's construction company, agrees to look at one of the houses she's considering buying, it's not long before they hit the sheets.

This novella was by far my least favorite of the anthology. After a couple pages, I actually considered not finishing it. It's told in the first person, which is something I generally hate in romance novels. And it really doesn't work for an erotic short story. There's something that's a really turn off about a first-person narrative involving masturbation or sex. It didn't appeal to me at all. The story in general was okay enough, could have been more developed, but the first person thing just killed it. It took a lot of work to make it through and it was only like 70 pages. (Rating: 1 / 5)

So overall, though the book wasn't too bad, it's not one I would consider a must-read. The Christmas theme was nice, but I probably wouldn't buy this book again if I had to do it over. Not really worth the $15.

WARNING: this book contains: explicit sex

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unwrap Me.

01/01/2009 page 314
100.0% "So-so book...one good story, one okay story, and one lousy story. Full review will be posted sometime soon."

message 1: by Auntee (new) - added it

Auntee Curious about this one, Isis. Is it a Christmas one?

jenjn79 Yeah. It's three short erotic Christmas stories. Which is why I bought it. I was feeling Christmas-y ;)

message 3: by Auntee (new) - added it

Auntee Thanks Isis. I guess I was just too lazy to click on the title and see for myself!:)

jenjn79 LOL, that's okay!

I noticed this while reading today...if you look closely at the cover, it looks like the bow being untied by woman's hands may be tied around a, uh, certain body part...

message 5: by Auntee (new) - added it

Auntee I do believe you are correct, Isis!:D

jenjn79 I picked it up today and I was looking at the cover...and it's like, wait a sec, I think he's nekkid with a bow around his dangly parts (to use one of Laura's favorite sayings). It cracked me up.

message 7: by Auntee (new) - added it

Auntee LOL--that's one of those book covers where you end up doing a double take--you can't believe you're seeing what you're seeing!

Hey, the emoticon is back!:)

message 8: by jenjn79 (last edited Jan 01, 2009 08:14PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

jenjn79 It was definitely a double take moment! It's really kind of subtle too. I'd looked at the cover multiple times, but didn't notice the bow thing until today.

Half the time I forget I have those smilies set up to use! I did all the work getting them set up, and now I hardly use them, LOL.