Erin Schneider's Reviews > Cracked Up to Be

Cracked Up to Be by Courtney Summers

3819759

bookshelves: favorite-reads, ya-contemporary

I was so impressed by Courtney Summers YA zombie release, THIS IS NOT A TEST, that I decided to back-track and get all of her books, starting from the beginning.

And CRACKED UP TO BE? Yeah, this one did not disappoint.

The MC Parker Fadley is insanely well written, from her anxiety-ridden finger snapping, to her issues with alcohol. The moment she stepped on the page, I knew I'd love this character.

And the supporting cast, well, they rounded out the story perfectly. The annoying wannabe Becky, so desperate to take over the pedestal of popularity that Parker has gladly jumped from. Her ex, Chris, who's still madly in love with her and quite possibly will never stop feeling that way, regardless of who else he's with. And of course, Jake - the new boy at school - who has absolutely no idea what he's just stepped into, but doesn't seem to care. Even the relationship with Bailey, Parker's newly adopted dog, played a pivotal role throughout the story - one I'll admit, I may even have shed a tear or two over.

Courtney Summers has a knack for voice, making you feel every word you're reading - and all while moving you along quickly. Each character had a reason for being there. And I loved how she injected flash-backs all along the way, which in the end, wove together and told the whole truth about what really happened.

CRACKED UP TO BE was definitely on the darker side of YA, tackling several tough subjects from start to finish. It was well written and oh-so spot on. And I loved it.

This is a definite must read if you're looking for the honest truth about some of the things that really happen in high school. I'm a fan, Ms. Summers, without a doubt.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cracked Up to Be.

August 24, 2012 – Shelved