William Thomas's Reviews > And When She Was Good

And When She Was Good by Laura Lippman

did not like it

The libraries around here are running low on audiobooks that appeal to me, so I picked one up by Laura Lippman. I didn't really know anything about her going into this, except that her books seem to be mystery/thriller based and I thought I'd go for it. I might never go for it again. I'm embarrassed I read this, and I'm embarrassed that she wrote it. I didn't even want to add it here, but I figured I would rate it on here because I did not shut it off and listened to the whole damn thing start to finish.

This book is a pointless bit of nonsense that read more like the outline of a mainstream thriller than the actual final draft. Lippman had some strong points, though. Well, one strong point. Well, one point that is fairly alright and that waas her characterization. Outside of this, there is no reason for this book to exist.

There are no twists, no turns, just a pat and rote course from start to finish. A happened to B. B went to C. C drove to D. D thought about A. And so on. It was infuriating. Like watching a made-for-tv movie based on a real life event where you've seen and heard everything that could possibly be gleaned already through the countless news outlets and watch it anyway and then get mad at yourself because how exactly did you expect that to be worth the time you invested in it and then delete it from your DVR post-haste. It's like that. Because it's a tabloid-type story that might as well have been a terrible biography for all the plot it had.

Grade: D

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read And When She Was Good.

Started Reading
August 1, 2012 – Finished Reading
August 24, 2012 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

stephanie don't write her off! this was my least favorite of her books, and she is truly, truly talented. but i agree about the plot. the story was pretty boring.

William Thomas I'm always willing to give an author another try. Recommendations?

James Keenley I agree with Stephanie. I've read -- and enjoyed -- all of Laura Lippman's previous novels, but this one was a real clunker.

But don't give up on her.

I'd recommend the stand-alone novels "What the Dead Know," "To the Power of Three," and "Every Secret Thing," as well as most of the entires in her Tess Monaghan series -- especially the earlier ones.

Linda Ditto -- I've most of the rest of Laura Lippman's other novels, and this was the only dud I've found.

Carson Dennis "after i'm gone" was very very good in my opinion and her most recent, i believe. i listened to it as an audiobook from my library.

Bonnie Suggest you stick with the Tess Monaghan series. Lippman's books are usually much, much better, and Tess is a great character.

Bonnie IMO, her best book is After I'm Gone.

Holly Bergstrom I saw u wanted recommendations by Lippman: loved "What the Dead Know" and "When I'm Gone". I have 50 pages left of this and I'm bored stiff and hate Heloise. Don't write off Lippman.

Darla For you want to give her another try, read I'd know you anywhere."