Melissa's Reviews > The Extraordinary Education of Nicholas Benedict

The Extraordinary Education of Nicholas Benedict by Trenton Lee Stewart

Aug 24, 2012

Read in May, 2012

Dear, dear Mr. Benedict. Such an extraordinary man with extraordinary insight (not just intelligence, but understanding!) MUST have had an extraordinary education. And here, at Rothchilds' End, that we discover young Nicholas fighting to survive not just his circumstances and health issues, but also bullies and friends and harried, clueless adults. And yet not all adults are typecast. Through this story (and each moment of the story is...forgive me for saying it again...extraordinary) we make our way to finding that "Mr. Harinton was real. There were adults in the world who would actually make sacrifices for the sake of others--not just for their families but for anyone who needed help."

And then Nicholas comes to a realization we all want to have in our lives. Nicholas discovers "what was anchoring his happiness. It was purpose. He knew what he wanted to do. He knew the way he thought things should be, and Mr. Harinton was proving that other people--even adults--could feel the same way. Nicholas had something to aim for now. He might not know what he wanted to be when he grew up,but ht knew with absolutely certainty HOW he wanted to be."

This book is such an extraordinary, ordinary, valuable, essential journey.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Extraordinary Education of Nicholas Benedict.