Khalid's Reviews > Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance

Dreams from My Father by Barack Obama

Dec 12, 2008

bookshelves: already-read, audio-books
Read in December, 2008

In this book, Obama talks about his childhood, his family, and how his family and origin have influenced his life. Just like in his other book, The Audacity of Hope, the reader gets this great feeling of honesty from Obama's style and tone; especially when read as an audio book.

This book shows very clearly that Obama is a black guy who is very proud about his culture and his race, which is not what so many people seem to believe. I enjoy reading autobiographies, and the most important factor in autobiographies is the ability to show the bad things together with the good things, the ability to draw a "realistic" (Not necessarily accurate, but realistic) image of the person's life. This book does that very well. You get the feeling that Barrack Obama is telling it like it is.

He is not afraid of talking casually about the mistakes he's done in his life. Things he's not proud about. And even though he shows sincere love to his family, he's not shy about mentioning their faults.

I didn't much like the third quarter of his book, in which he goes into boring detail about his efforts in organizing, and his communication with churches and such. It wasn't as personal or strong as the rest of the book.

My favorite parts were the beginning of the book, when he talked about the young Barrack Obama, and many parts of his story in Kenya.

I do recommend this book to those who enjoy autobiographies.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreams from My Father.