JL Torres's Reviews > It's a Mens World

It's a Mens World by Bebang Siy

Aug 24, 2012

bookshelves: filipiniana, essays, 2012-reads
Read in August, 2012

Disclaimer -- I was tasked to judge 3 books for the Essay Category for the 1st Filipino Reader's Choice Award and here's my short review of the winner, It's a Mens World by Bebang Siy:

I’m so glad I bought a hardcopy of It’s a Mens World by Bebang Siy. Such a wonderful and refreshing read. The author’s informal use of the language, seamlessly inserting Taglish terms here and there, quickly disarmed this reader.

It felt like having a conversation with a close friend. The author’s throbbing honesty coupled with her unconstrained humor pervaded her essays with an authenticity that’s endearing. I can’t help but care as well as laugh with the author. I also like the way the essays were structured differently from each other, as if the stories within them were not interesting enough, these variations felt like icing in the cake.

I never encountered a dragging essay in this book; I even read the entire Pasasalamat part hehe I just wished that she wrote an Introduction to offer some sort of beginning and a summation as well as a preparation for the reader. I would definitely read whatever this promising author writes in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It's a Mens World.

message 1: by Angus (new)

Angus Oi! The fanboy speaks!

Christine Congrats kay Ms. Bebang! :)

message 3: by Beverly (new)

Beverly ONE WORD for you JL: SALAMAAAAAAAAAAAT!