Danielle's Reviews > The Crown Conspiracy

The Crown Conspiracy by Michael J. Sullivan

Dec 11, 2008

bookshelves: fantasy, picks, 2009-read
Recommended to Danielle by: Robin (author's wife)
Recommended for: People who enjoy a quick (yet fulfilling) fantasy/adventure read
Read in March, 2009

After the first few pages into this I was a little afraid I'd made a mistake. I tend to enjoy sci-fi more than fantasy/adventure, and the first character you meet in the book I found to be annoying and dreadfully boring. Would I be able to make it through a whole book about this guy? And then, poof, the real protagonists join the story!

Some things I liked:
The story was well paced and didn't drag like some fantasy. The world was believable without being mired down in details. It was laid out much like a movie - I could clearly picture this being filmable and entertaining. From the introduction that introduces a secondary character (as a means of introducing the lead characters) to the witty dialog. The dialog made me laugh without being too obnoxious, and it was easy to tell apart the different characters by the way they spoke. There was also a steady progression of character development, but it was still a quick, fun read for me.

For those who are on the fence about reading a fantasy novel, this book wasn't 10,000 pages of description. It was quick-paced, and more importantly, I could pronounce everything.

Here's an example of something that was amusing without being over the top, and is one of the reasons Hadrian was my fave character:

“Tell me, what would you do to get out of this castle alive before morning?”

The two glanced at each other in stunned silence. “I’m thinking anything,” Hadrian said. “How about you, Royce?”

His partner nodded. “I’d have to say I’m good with that.”

The one thing I had a small issue with:
Sometimes the commas seemed to be at odd places in the sentences, or missing altogether. I'm no writer, so maybe they're grammatically correct, but it's not the way I "breathe" when I read and it caused me to stumble over some sentences, which of course jolted me out of the story. Here's one example: "They were waist deep in it now and while the smell was better, the temperature was not."

Minor complaint, but there it is. That's my only problem with this tale.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crown Conspiracy.

message 1: by Robin (new) - added it

Robin Hey Danielle,
Great review...I'm so glad you liked the book! I also really appreciate you posting your review on Amazon as well - this really helps get the word out so thanks so much for doing that.

Yeah a lot of people are fooled by chapter 1. It is unusual not to start with the main characters. I like the twist of it but am sometimes councerned people will get the wrong impression.

I do think this book is a great "intro to fantasy" title as it is not as heavy as some tend to be.

Well thanks again for the great comments and hope you will join us for Avampartha to be released in April.