Mary Anne's Reviews > A Stolen Life: A Memoir

A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard

liked it
bookshelves: audio-book, library, non-fiction

I didn't really "like" the book all that much. It's hard to like a book such as this. However, I am so all about the empowerment of Jaycee Dugard as she pieces her life back together and moves on with her family from her terrible ordeal. I suppose I jumped on this find since it was read by the author herself.

The writing/editing wasn't fantastic, but that wasn't really the point. I think the people who gain the most from this book (besides Jaycee herself) are the people she directly wants to help: the people who are abducted. I appreciated how she communicated her powerlessness, the way that she acquiesced to what Phillip wanted her to do. After all, she was held captive for 18 years. It was meaningful to hear how scared she was in the outside world and how, after a time, she preferred the privacy and security of her tent in the backyard. No one could ever criticize the decisions she made. It's astounding to me that law enforcement didn't discover what happened until Phillip cockily brought his whole family to his parole officer's business. She makes startling comments that make us consider our assumptions about numerous government systems: law enforcement, parole services, and psychiatry.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Stolen Life.

August 23, 2012 – Shelved