Mary Anne's Reviews > Robopocalypse

Robopocalypse by Daniel H. Wilson

liked it
bookshelves: audio-book, fiction, library

So it's been some time since I read/listened to this, but here's my recap. I almost got this on my Kindle, but when I saw it on audio at my library, I figured I'd give it a shot.

I don't think this book works as well as an audiobook. The characters were quite varied and, though I sort of like the oral history idea of audiobooks, I just don't think it works as well with this one. So my recommendation, for people who can go both ways, is to read it in book form if possible.

The organization of this book really threw me off, and I was quite disinterested in the very beginning, which is unfortunate. The idea, as far as I can tell, is that Cormac Wallace is compiling a journal based on the audio/visual files he receives from a black box sort of robot. I think the organization threw me off because this setup seemed... unlikely? I figure you kind of have to put assumptions aside and live in the world that the author creates.

I must have issues in terms of creating an apocalypse, because the build-up was a bit unrealistic to me. (Yes, it's fiction.) I wish I'd seen a little more about what life was like with the robots, because all of a sudden a couple of them go haywire and people are saying "the robots are turning against us! watch them!" Seemed way too early, and people were way too suspicious.

The other thing I didn't understand/like was how everything started with Archos and the doctor. And all of a sudden there are new robots who just "woke up" and I found that similarly confusing.

That said, I did like some of the characters, and the storyline was interesting. I'm not sure I'd recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Robopocalypse.

August 23, 2012 – Shelved
August 23, 2012 – Shelved as: audio-book
August 23, 2012 – Shelved as: fiction
August 23, 2012 – Shelved as: library
September 22, 2012 – Started Reading
September 22, 2012 –
10.0% "Not sure about this."
September 24, 2012 –
20.0% "I'm warming up to this book. I suppose part of the problem is that I'm using the audio format. But it's still going okay."
October 18, 2012 –