Katherine Coble's Reviews > Project Hail Mary

Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir

liked it

My rating may change on this as I ponder it some but for now I’ll leave it at three because “meh, average” is how I feel about it.
There’s a much better book out there by Robert J Sawyer from which a whole lot of this book is borrowed.
And there’s a much better book by Andy Weir from which another whole lot of this is borrowed.
Finally, there’s a book out there by CS Lewis that has effall to do with closets or witches to which most of this owes a great debt.
So...
Read the Martian. Read Out of the Silent Planet. Read [insert name of Sawyer book here I’m blanking].

Or I guess you could read this. But where each of those books transcends its subject matter by reaching beyond itself, this book gets bogged down in ENDLESS details at every turn. Everything is about the minutiae of mathematics to the point where it feels like Weir is too afraid to step away from the concrete. He can speculate plenty but only of he can surround each speculation with dry detail meaningless to all but a few readers.

I can’t believe how much of this he owes to _Out of the Silent Planet_ . I really can’t.

Oh, btw, the Sawyer book is called _Calculating God_.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Project Hail Mary.

May 6, 2021 – Started Reading
May 6, 2021 – Shelved
May 7, 2021 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Shayla Also, Children of Time.