Tara's Reviews > A Midsummer's Nightmare

A Midsummer's Nightmare by Kody Keplinger

Aug 23, 2012

bookshelves: full-of-awesome, girlie-stuff, ya, to-review, reviewed, read-2012

Okay...I freely admit...this book made me cry and cry hard. In a (mostly) good way.

I'm a sucker for an emotional book that makes me cry (Jamie McGuire's Beautiful Disaster and Annabel Joseph's Comfort Object being two of the most recent ones)and an even bigger sucker for emotional books that are well written. Like this one.

I began reading this because I thought it would be a quick, easy read on my day off. It started off that way, but changed a few chapters in. It surprised me because I thought it would be a funny story about a troubled teenage girl who has a breakthrough, becomes all shiny and new, and lives happily ever after. Well, it kind of was, but...it was so much more than the formulaic YA story.

While Whitley had quite a few not-so-endearing qualities and made a bunch of piss poor choices, I had to like her. We all have our scars and we've all made stupid choices in our past. It makes us human and much more lovable. Same with Whitley. I was rooting for her and glossing over her silly mistakes.

(I'm on a Grey's kick, don't kill me!)

I'm very impressed with Kody Keplinger and will keep my eyes peeled for more from her!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Midsummer's Nightmare.

Started Reading