L's Reviews > The Complete Stories

The Complete Stories by Flannery O'Connor

7196445

bookshelves: favorites, fiction, southern-lit, short-stories

Having lived with this collection for almost a year, and having read each story as slowly as possible, in coming to the end I feel I'm now grieving for all that O'Connor never wrote.

As Thomas Merton said about Flannery in 1965: "A relentlessly perfect writer, full of tragedy and irony."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Complete Stories.

August 23, 2012 – Shelved
June 14, 2013 – Finished Reading
April 9, 2014 – Shelved as: fiction
April 9, 2014 – Shelved as: southern-lit
April 9, 2014 – Shelved as: short-stories

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

s.penkevich Awesome, this is probably my favorite collection of short stories. Do you have a favorite so far?

message 2: by Blumenfeld (new) - added it

Blumenfeld let me know how this one goes

message 3: by L (new) - rated it 5 stars

L Yes, I'm stretching out this collection as far as I can. :)

Good Country People is probably my favourite so far.

message 4: by averybird (new) - added it

averybird You capture my sentiments exactly. She died so young! I read Good Country People in her other book and it was a favorite as well. I'm reading Alice Munro now and she reminds me a bit of Flannery (the unease of some of the endings). But there is no one exactly like Flannery O'Connor. :)

message 5: by L (new) - rated it 5 stars

L averybiird wrote: "You capture my sentiments exactly. She died so young! I read Good Country People in her other book and it was a favorite as well. I'm reading Alice Munro now and she reminds me a bit of Flannery (t..."

Thank you, avery!

I agree 100% -- there's no one quite like Flannery O'Connor. I'm nearing the end of her collected letters The Habit of Being: Letters of Flannery O'Connor and am experiencing the same sadness again. It's tempting not to finish the last few letters, to pretend that the end didn't come so soon for her. :(

I've been reading Alice Munro as well; the unease you mention is definitely there, and I'm glad to hear it from someone else! Another great short-story writer that comes to mind is Eudora Welty; and Shirley Jackson too. It's so exciting for me to discover these women writers. :)

message 6: by averybird (new) - added it

averybird Thanks for the tip on Eudora Welty and Shirley Jackson. I definitely want to read both someday (any particular favorite books so far?). I'm really enjoying the short story format these days. They pair so nicely with the longer novels...

I agree, such great women writers out there waiting to be discovered! :)

message 7: by Kenny (new) - added it

Kenny I just ordered this. I'm looking forward to reading these.