Adrienne Campbell's Reviews > Breaking Silence

Breaking Silence by Linda Castillo

Aug 23, 2012

Read from August 23 to 26, 2012

Wow. I really didn't think she could do it three times in a row but Linda Castillo has written yet another brilliant novel. This is the third book in the "Kate Berkholder" series. Her characters are wonderful. They are people you can relate to and are so well developed.

I feel as though I've learned something new about the Amish culture each time I read her books because they are so well researched. Having said that, I also feel like I've just taken the roller coaster ride of my life. You really can't be sure until the very end how these books will end. Even if you've already come to suspect someone...well Castillo has a way of slapping you with a surprise twist you just didn't see coming. I couldn't put it down!

Definitely recommend!!

Book cover Blurb: "The Slabaugh family are model Amish farmers, prosperous and hardworking, with four children and a happy extended family. When the parents and an uncle are found dead in their barn, it appears to be a gruesome accident: methane gas asphyxiation caused by a poorly ventilated cesspit. But in the course of a routine autopsy, the coroner discovers that one of the victims suffered a head wound before death—clearly, foul play was involved. But who would want to make orphans of the Slabaughs’ children? And is this murder somehow related to a recent string of shocking hate crimes against the Amish?

Having grown up Amish, Kate is determined to bring the killer to justice. Because the other series of attacks are designated hate crimes, the state sends in agent John Tomasetti, with whom Kate has a long and complex relationship. Together, they search for the link between the crimes—and uncover a dark secret at work beneath the placid surface of this idyllic Amish community."

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breaking Silence.