razan's Reviews > Counting Down with You

Counting Down with You by Tashie Bhuiyan

it was ok

i tried going into this book with an open mind. i really did. i felt for karina’s struggles with her parents not being supportive of her dreams and aspirations. and that is so valid and a reality for so many teens, specifically those raised in brown or arab cultures. i also really liked the anxiety rep. but as a muslim, i was just too frustrated with the muslim representation.

a lot of times it felt like the lines between toxic cultural ideals and religion were blurred. it was mentioned once or twice that they were two separate things and that karina actually loves her religion, but the book did a really poor job of showing it. a lot of karina’s parents’ “rules” were really just religious guidelines that every muslim is expected to follow. and it felt like karina was picking and choosing the parts of islam that worked the most for her, and disregarded other parts. karina’s not a perfect muslim, i get it. i wasn’t expecting her to be. i’m not perfect either. but i just wish that there was at least something that said “oh i’m touching and kissing and dating the non-muslim boy, but i’m aware that it’s something my religion very heavily frowns upon” instead of “oh i’m touching and kissing and dating the non-muslim boy, but i can’t tell my parents because it’s one of their strict rules that rob me of my freedom”.

yeah so idk the muslim representation in this book was really not it and made me want to scream in frustration at times. either do it right and respect the religion as a whole or don’t do it at all. it just felt very netflix and white savior-y to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Counting Down with You.

May 5, 2021 – Shelved