Christine's Reviews > I Capture the Castle

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith

Aug 02, 2007

Recommended for: anglophiles

I tried to understand what was the point of the author including a character like Stephen. I came to the conclusion that it was to highlight the distinction of class between the Mortmain family and their "servant". The irony was, Stephen makes an income (and not from the Mortmains, who are broke and income-less), yet he's not quite an equal.

Ok, otherwise how do you explain that the author includes a character who is generally a work of Hotness but undesired by the main character despite his devotion to her?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Capture the Castle.

message 1: by Yennie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yennie She wanted to show that love is not easy to understand and impossible to control. Cassandra loved Stephen more like a brother, and though she sometimes wanted to love him in a different way, she could not. Because of her experiences with Stephen, she knew all the better why Rose could not marry Simon. Stephen and Simon are both great guys, but they were not the "right match" for the girls they loved.