C.G. Drews's Reviews > City of Bones

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

bookshelves: 4-star, young-adult, read-2014, paranormal, magical-fantasy

Why did it take me so long to read this??! This book is absolutely stuffed with awesome! And I'm surprised to be admitting that, actually, because I sent this back, half-read, to the library twice . And now? I'd totally buy it. I'm sniffing out book 2 ASAP.

Now, I did know everything that would happen, because I'd seen the movie first. I'm a little guilty I saw it first, but I'm 100% impressed with how good the movie was! It followed the book SO closely! I'm amazed! And the things the movie changed? I think they were logical changes. BUT MOVING ON.

My favourite thing has to be the humour. I adore witty banter and CITY OF BONES is stuffed with it! Can we take a moment to appreciate Jace, in all his snarky awesome? The dude never stops. GO JACE.

Characters? Obviously I have a small favourite, the little Shadowhunter Jace. Sure his ego needed to be pricked, but we all know that the most cocky characters are really the most insecure (view spoiler). I loved Clary, although she was harder to connect with. I liked that she was so level-headed. Usually that gets irritating. But in this case? I think her personality was very dependable and well-written. ALTHOUGH WHY IS EVERYONE SO BLIND AND STUPID TO LUUUURVE IN THIS BOOK? Did anyone have the right idea about love-interests? They were all with the wrong person, secretly in love with someone else, while battering the eyelashes at another to mark the first person jealous. WUT. But I'll forgive them, because it was quite funny...if fairly frustrating. Simon was equally interesting, although I think I wouldn't have liked him so much if I hadn't seen the movie first. He was more useful in the movie. He was a bit of a...dead weight (or rat?) in this one.

The writing style is kind of thick and heavy. While the humour is A+, I sometimes drowned in all the description. DETAILS. The details are so intense...but my eyes glazed over sometimes. I just think the book is a bit too long. We could've negated some scenes, or just pruned how much detail was stuffed into the readers' eyeballs. But I absolutely adored how the humour was never explained. Instead it was natural. HUZZAH.

(view spoiler)

I know this was fanfiction for Harry Potter, originally, but I think the author did a great job of making it totally different. The only things I wish hadn't of been there is Simon turning into a rat (which is like Ron's rat who's really that creepy guy in Harry Potter book #3). And also the flying motorcycles, which is like Ron's dad's flying car. SO THERE'S THAT. And also this book is so stinkin' like Supernatural, the TV series, it's weird. Just down to some of the lines Jace spouted?? It was very, very close to what Dean said. Plus the whole hunting-demons-is-their-family-business. Ah-huh. I checked the dates, and CITY OF BONES released in 2007, while Supernatural released in 2005-6. The eyeball-smacking similarities kind of concern me...buuuut, whatever. IT's a good book.

I loved this book and I'm totally reading more!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Bones.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Cassandra Clare
“Can I help you with something?"
Clary turned instant traitor against her gender. "Those girls on the other side of the car are staring at you."
Jace assumed an air of mellow gratification. "Of course they are," he said, "I am stunningly attractive.”

Cassandra Clare
“Don't touch any of my weapons without my permission."
"Well, there goes my plan for selling them all on eBay," Clary muttered.
"Selling them on what?"
Clary smiled blandly at him. "A mythical place of great magical power.”

Cassandra Clare
“It wouldn't be my move," Jace agreed. "First the candy and flowers, then the apology letters, then the ravenous demon hordes. In that order.”

Cassandra Clare
“Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt.”

Cassandra Clare
“It means 'Shadowhunters: Looking Better in Black Than the Widows of our Enemies Since 1234'.”

Cassandra Clare
“Out of the corner of her eye she thought she saw Jace shoot her a look of white rage - but when she glanced at him, he looked as he always did: easy, confident, slightly bored.
"In future, Clarissa," he said, "it might be wise to mention that you already have a man in your bed, to avoid such tedious situations."
"You invited him into bed?" Simon demanded, looking shaken.
"Ridiculous, isn't it?" said Jace. "We would never have all fit."
"I didn't invite him into bed," Clary snapped. "We were just kissing."
"Just kissing?" Jace's tone mocked her with its false hurt. "How swiftly you dismiss our love.”

Cassandra Clare
“That's why when major badasses greet each other in movies, they don't say anything, they just nod. The nod means, 'I' am a badass, and I recognize that you, too, are a badass,' but they don't say anything because they're Wolverine and Magneto and it would mess up their vibe to explain.”

August 23, 2012 – Shelved
July 21, 2013 –
10.0% (Kindle Edition)
May 30, 2014 – Started Reading
May 30, 2014 –
page 100
20.62% "Woohoo! I'm actually READIN' THIS. Jace is funny."
June 1, 2014 –
page 320
65.98% "I actually love this book a lot. Just so you know."
June 1, 2014 – Shelved as: 4-star
June 1, 2014 – Shelved as: young-adult
June 1, 2014 – Shelved as: read-2014
June 1, 2014 – Shelved as: paranormal
June 1, 2014 – Shelved as: magical-fantasy
June 2, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

Brea Johnson Wait, what? You haven't read TMI series? You have read so many books, but you haven't read this, yet?
Woah.

C.G. Drews I'M FIXING THIS RIGHT NOW, SEE? It's like this major hole in my reading career. x)

message 3: by Miriam (new) - added it

Miriam Joy Ahaha, I read them all last summer when I was in a pit of despair and needed something to drag me out of it again. The sarcasm and general humour throughout the series gave me life.

C.G. Drews The humour is awesome! I love how dang sarcastic everyone is. XD

message 5: by Miriam (new) - added it

Miriam Joy Same. I love books with sassy protags (such as James Morgan in "Ballad" or everybody in this). Maybe that's why I wrote Irial the way I wrote him... ha ha.

C.G. Drews Sassy = the best of ever. I ADORE James. Especially his hit-man line. lol It's been a loooong time since I read a book with decent humour so CoB is rocking so far. LOVE the Jace/Simon snark.

message 7: by Miriam (new) - added it

Miriam Joy The hit man line is the BEST. But he has a handful of others that rock, too.

Ah, there's a brilliant scene with Jace and Simon later in the series that absolutely makes me life. I quoted it in my last YAvengers post (or whenever it was I wrote about making your readers laugh) -- I don't know if you saw it?

C.G. Drews Possibly I saw it, but my brain is like mush most of the time. I'm going to go look again...

message 9: by Zoe (new)

Zoe Cait...I am hyperventilating because...we had different opinions on this! •gasps• I honestly can't remember the last time we had such different opinions on a book! I'm SOOO glad you enjoyed it though! :)

Personally, it was just too close to HP for me. I just couldn't help but overlook the similarities, you know? And the humor was fabulous - like you said- but it felt so out of place to me.

I think I just wasn't able to connect woth the chaacters or the writing AT ALL. I found the characters to be underdeveloped, and the writing was just too descriptive for me.

If you were engrossed with the plot and characters and were willing to overlook the slight unoriginality, then this would have definitely been a great read - just like it was for you. Sadly, I just couldn't drop those things, and my enjoyment suffered.

Thanks for sharing Cait! So glad you enjoyed it! :)

message 10: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. Drews OMG HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE???? That's like the most major difference we've ever had?!!! o.O I guess I don't feel 100% loyal to HP because I didn't grow up reading it?? *shrugs* (Though I AM about to start book #4.) Hehe...oh well, at least we know we're not clones, amirght.

message 11: by Cat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cat Bryson Thank you for writing this review! I was so upset about the end of this book that I haven't continued the series, but I feel I must return to it. I LOVED the prequels! The movie was also awesome!! Wish it had done better in the theaters!

Traci There are literal flying motorcycles in Harry Potter! Hagrids? And your review, as lways, is fantastic! Although Simon is one of my favorite characters. I can relate to him more than Jace. Sarcasm is life XD

Traci @Cait Grace www.paperfury.com?

message 14: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. Drews @Traci: That's my blog. :D

Traci @Cait Grace omygoosh it's awesome! :p I couldn't look at all of it but... genius

message 16: by Ida (new) - added it

Ida Still can't decide if I wanna read this :o
And Cassandra Clare was originally banned from the fanfiction site for plagiarism, so it wouldn't be Strange if there are similar elements from supernatural in it, haha

Megan (ReadingRover) Just wait! The series gets sooo much better!!!

Traci Ha omygosh ur use of gifs everybody should see u blog