Liz's Reviews > One Dead Spy

One Dead Spy by Nathan Hale

F 50x66
Aug 22, 2012

I know it might seem odd to give 5 stars to a children's book, but I am giving five stars because I liked how the author, himself named Nathan Hale, explained the creative licenses he took with the story. He included a list of his resources and a page where he explains why he chose to draw the spy, Nathan Hale in certain instances of his life. He also includes some of Henry Knox's story, and explains that those two men were often in the same areas at the same time in the War so it made sense to him to have had them interact, both men having been well-read men themselves (one a scholar from Yale, the other a bookseller). As someone who wants to make comics about historical figures, having the author explaining his reasoning behind the artistic licenses he took (whether they're accurate or not, I don't know but he was able to defend his choices and that I respect) really helped ME be able to better understand the choices and decisions I'd have to make myself someday. And his art is JUST so cute! I also really loved that the author chose to give Nathan Hale a sassy attitude, it was a nice mesh with the other characters.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Dead Spy.