Rachael's Reviews > You'll Never Believe What Happened to Lacey: Crazy Stories about Racism

You'll Never Believe What Happened to Lacey by Amber Ruffin

Go get this book right now!

We've seen a lot of attention given to anti-racism education in the past year, with books such as "Caste," How to be an Anti-Racist" and "The New Jim Crow" topping must-read lists (along with many, many other fine examples). But I would put this book at the very top of that list for people who want a better understanding of what it's like to be Black in America.

Amber Ruffin, who you may recognize from "The Late Show With Seth Meyers," lives in New York City while her sister, Lacey Lamar, lives in Omaha, where the two grew up. Through the years, Lacey would call or text her sister with a variation of "you'll never believe," referring to racist comments and incidents she experienced as a Black woman in the Midwest.

I live in the Midwest. Unfortunately I know how some white people here think about race. Still, this book was shocking. I couldn't believe the things people actually said to Lacey's face -- I'm talking about ignorant, cruel, terrible things. Or the terrible things that happened to her parents (they lost their thriving day-care business because of a vengeful and racist public health inspector).

I listened to the audio version, which was great. It's mostly narrated by Amber and she tells the stories with humor and grace. But the print version has photos, so I kind of wish I had that version -- I feel like I missed out on some good stuff.

This is a quick and enjoyable read. The personal stories have helped me better understand what it's like to be Black in America. Any book that contributes to this understanding is a must-read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You'll Never Believe What Happened to Lacey.

April 19, 2021 – Started Reading
April 29, 2021 – Finished Reading
May 3, 2021 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Kara (new)

Kara I recently bought this book and am even more excited to read it after reading your review!

Rachael You will love it!