Bastard Travel's Reviews > Elric of Melniboné

Elric of Melniboné by Michael Moorcock

I'm a big Conan fan, which is unfortunate, since I never cared for the books. I've always loved the prehistoric aspects of the setting, the easy ferocity of the sword and sorcery genre, and the prospect that all of these ancient and unknowable Lovecraftian evils weren't an instant sanity-breaker. Once, when men were better, we could oppose them with nothing but steel and sinew, and we could win. It's a good message. It's the kind of thing that pushes you to grind out the last few reps in the gym.

What kept me from successfully finishing a Conan anthology is that he's a Mary Sue. I'm a longtime Doom franchise devotee, for many of the same reasons I like sword and sorcery, so I've got a pretty high threshold tolerance for masculine power fantasies, but at a certain point they get embarrassing, and Conan always did a beautiful, muscular yet supple swan dive over that particular precipice within a couple paragraphs.

John L. Howard at his typewriter like: "And then Conan, who is powerful and sexual and smells good, rippled to his feet like a hot panther who girls like and said, 'I WILL PUNCH YOU! WITH MY FISTS!' And the crowd roared and cheered in unrestrained delight, for Conan was so honest and handsome with the deepest squat and biggest dingaling in all the land."

Whereas Elric of Melnibone is a slouching albino goth who maintains a high dose meth addiction to counteract his anemia and perpetual caloric deficit. He's the emperor of his floundering, ancient, neutral evil nation, but none of his subjects understand him because he reads too many books (which makes him a contemptible nerd) and as a result developed a moral compass.

Essentially, the plot of Elric of Melnibone is if Marcus Aurelius had an autoimmune disease and became a warlock about it.

It was spectacular. The writing was phenomenal, and not even hokey! I didn't think that could be done, considering the subject matter. It's easy to see Moorcock's influence on modern fantasy greats like GRRM, although it might be more fair to call GRRM a past fantasy great, as big boy is never gonna write another book.

Elric has Mary Sue elements, sure, he's one of the finest swordsmen who ever lived and he's also the literal emperor, but he's also deeply flawed. He's a brooding, melancholy drug addict. A real Sigma male. Nobody understands him and it's not a phase, mom.

I can't recommend this book highly enough to anyone who loves high fantasy in general and sword and sorcery in particular. It checked all the boxes. Moorcock is a tremendous writer with an appropriate surname.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Elric of Melniboné.

May 3, 2021 – Started Reading