Teal's Reviews > A Good and Happy Child

A Good and Happy Child by Justin Evans

Aug 22, 2012

did not like it
Read from August 23 to 28, 2012

It was just interesting enough that I went through nearly all of it in one sitting, but boring enough that I only skimmed it and skipped pages at a time.

After the first few chapters, I went back to the library with it to give it one more try. If it failed to interest me, it would be abandoned. I ended up finishing it in a manner of speaking (at least I looked at most of the pages), but the only thing that spurred me on was my curiousity about the ending that some of the other reviews here complain about.

I really did give it a chance for the first seventy-so pages, but I couldn't get into it. The writing gave me the impression that this book was a half-hearted project; it seems like some paragraphs were written just to reach a word count goal. One pet peeve is that the author kept explicitly stating again and again that the characters have Southern accents. It's as if the narrator is a stranger to the area and finds the local accent interesting enough to note when he hears it. The problem is that the narrator is a child born and raised in the same Virginia county.

Highlights: (view spoiler) Or not. Wishful thinking on my part.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Good and Happy Child.

08/23/2012 page 40
12.0% "I keep getting bored. There are pages that just seem to be filling space."
08/25/2012 page 60
18.0% "I don't think I'm gonna stick with it. The writing is so bland."