Erin's Reviews > The Seer of Shadows

The Seer of Shadows by Avi

Dec 10, 2008

Recommended to Erin by: I found it on the library shelf
Recommended for: Children grade 4 and up. Adults who want to read a fun, quick story.
Read in October, 2008 , read count: 1

I found this book while searching books for my son, who is in Jr. High, to read. The cover was enticing, it looked like a good Halloween book. I brought it home not making a connection that my son hates "scary" things. So, I read it with my daughter, who loves a "scary" story. I really enjoyed the book. No, it was not "scary", for me. The idea behind the story was facinating to me. The thought that a person's spirit could manifest itself is something I totally believe in. The idea that it could show up on a photogragh, that is something to think about. I am so intrigued by spirits and the manifestation of spirits. So, Elenora was very real to me. I was not believing in the whole candelstick moving around and the setting of fire, but that part made the story much more interesting.

My father is/was a photographer. (Try to get him to take a family picture now, Ha, Ha) I remember going into his darkroom and smelling the chemicals used in processing the photos. I remember watching the image appear as the chemicals worked thier "magic" and then hanging the pictures on a line to dry. That is probably why I liked the book so much, it brought back pleasant memories. This book is written for a younger audience but I enjoyed it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Seer of Shadows.