Flannery's Reviews > Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs by Jean Webster

bookshelves: classics, lolz, read-in-2012, read-on-kindle, young-adult-teen, wishlist-for-dtbs-to-keep
Recommended to Flannery by: Maggie

I found Daddy-Long-Legs courtesy of the lovely ladies over at Young Adult Anonymous and then devoured it in one sitting. (it is free for Kindle, though devoid of illustrations) Published in 1912, it is a series of letters from the fictional Jerusha (Judy) Abbott to the mysterious benefactor who plucks her from an orphanage and pays for her college. The conditions of receiving the monetary support are that he will remain anonymous (as such, Judy calls him many things but most often Daddy-Long-Legs because she's only seen him once in shadow against a wall and he looked tall and thin) and that she write him monthly letters. Fans of epistolary fiction will love this, as well as Anne-girl fans, because Judy is spunky, hilarious, and outspoken in an Anne of Green Gables way. After a while I wanted the story to get to the point, though I never really tired of Judy's voice. Once the endgame of the author becomes clear, it is funny to see the actions of Judy and her benefactor change. I also think this book would appeal to fans of movies like Meet Me In St. Louis and the older versions of Cheaper by the Dozen. The descriptions of the homes, families, clothes, and such really made me picture those movies I've seen time and time again. (I feel kind of like a badass that I placed both those movies in the same time period as Daddy-Long Legs before looking the dates up.)

This mini-review was part of a series of 7 mini-reviews of short YA books I wrote for a post over at our blog, The Readventurer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daddy Long Legs.

August 22, 2012 – Shelved
August 29, 2012 – Started Reading
September 1, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Tish (new)

Tish Wow! I had forgotten all about that book--it's been decades since I read it. I remember liking it but don't remember anything about it. Guess I'll have to reread it someday.

Flannery I'd never even heard of it until last week when two of my friends read it. Judy/Jerusha is such a funny character, writing letters to her anonymous benefactor. The entire short book is just a series of letters from an orphan girl to Daddy Long Legs, as she calls him.

Ishita One of my favourites. I read it time and again :)

Maggie That cover is creepy as hell.

Flannery Well I read it on Kindle so mine didn't even have a cover. I don't love the other ones either, though.

Noelle If I had been Judy seeing that shadow, this book would be called Dear Circus Stilt Walker. Doesn't quite have the same ring to it, huh?

PS. So happy you liked it!

message 7: by Gerry (new)

Gerry Cohen You should try to find "Dear Enemy".. the sequel .. I love Daddy Long-legs. I read it every year since 1971.