Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)'s Reviews > Sea Hearts

Sea Hearts by Margo Lanagan

I quite enjoyed this evocative, otherworldly tale of witches and vengeance and sea wives. It was pretty miserable what the town put Misskaella through, but in turn, it was also pretty awful what she unleashed on the town, especially those whose only transgression was being born to one of the townsfolk who'd wronged her in some way.

Told in alternating perspectives, from the witches to the men of Rollrock Island to the women who deserved better than men who sought out sea wives, Sea Hearts -- known as The Brides of Rollrock Island in the States -- tells the tale of three generations of families on the island and how they succumbed to the witchcraft and devilry of making wives of the seals that made the island their home in the spring.

It's depressing for the most part, but it's also a fine indicator of human nature and the lengths some will go to for happiness, real or imagined. I greatly enjoyed this performance; the narrators were perfect for this piece. Another great novel to add to my Aussie shelf.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sea Hearts.

August 22, 2012 – Shelved
June 1, 2015 – Shelved as: mythology
June 1, 2015 – Shelved as: reimaginings-retellings
June 1, 2015 – Shelved as: sync
June 1, 2015 –
50.0% "I only just realized this was another title for The Brides of Rollrock Island, which I'd already been wanting to read, so thx for the freebie, SYNC! #sync15"
June 2, 2015 – Finished Reading