RoloPoloBookBlog's Reviews > The Faerie Guardian, Part I

bookshelves: paranormal, young-adult, paranormal-series

Creepy Hollow #1: Guardian by Rachel Morgan
Source: Purchase
4/5 stars

I have often shied away from reading novellas because there generally just isn’t enough time for the author to completely develop characters and/or the plot. I am certainly glad I didn’t realize (until after I clicked purchase) the Creepy Hollow series is actually a series of novellas otherwise I would have missed out on a (OK four) fun and entertaining read by Rachel Morgan.

Violet Fairdale is a young faerie who is in her last months of training to become a guardian. Violet is an orphan whose family has always served as guardians; guardians are members of an elite group of faeries whose job it is to protect unknowing humans from dark faerie attacks. Humans can’t see fairies and they certainly can’t travel to Creepy Hollow so how is it that Violet finds herself in a heap of trouble after one of her “assignments” not only sees her but hitchhikes his way into Creepy Hollow? Balls!!

Violet and Nate (her hitchhiking human) now have to get Nate back to the world of humans so Violet can go before the Council to receive her punishment for breaking some of her people’s most important laws. Here’s the rub: before Violet and Nate can get anywhere near Nate’s home they are both whacked on the head, kidnapped, and Violet’s magic is bound so she can’t work to save them. Balls again! The kidnappers want two things: 1) Nate’s biological mother whom he has never met and; 2) the name of the faerie with the special ability of being able to locate anyone anywhere.

I found this short read to be quite satisfying as Morgan does a great job of setting up her plot and developing her characters in a very short amount of time. I like Violet! She has purple streaks in her hair (awesome), uses the work wonky (one of my faves!), and takes her skills and her assignments very seriously. Here’s what Violet must do:
1)Get herself and Nate to safety
2)Figure out why a faerie would want a human woman
3)Continue to bury the secret of her super-special skill and
4)Try not to think too hard about how cute Nate is

For Nate, he has to admit that not only does he want to know who his biological mother is but also accept that he is going to need help discovering her identity. The only problem with his plan is the fact that Violet has been tasked with erasing Nate’s memory. To be continued . . .

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Faerie Guardian, Part I.