Michelle's Reviews > Fire of the Covenant: The Story of the Willie and Martin Handcart Companies

Fire of the Covenant by Gerald N. Lund

Dec 09, 2008

Read in December, 2008

This was wonderful to read during my current bout with the flu. Pretty hard to sink into self-pity when you're "journeying" with the Willie and Martin handcart companies!
I loved the fictional characters Elder Lund wrote into this story--it really helped keep my interest sparked through a very long book.
I have a new, powerful appreciation for the horrendous journey these Saints experienced because of their desire to follow a prophet's counsel to gather to Zion.
I always thought that it was a "mistake" they had left so far in the season. This book made it clear that they all knew it would be very dangerous, but made the decision to go anyway, even if it meant dying on the trail. Amazing.
As always, Elder Lund includes the historical notes at the end of each chapter, which I enjoy. Absolutely incredible how much of the story is true!
This is one I would like to own someday.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fire of the Covenant.