Briana Auclair's Reviews > Splintered

Splintered by A.G. Howard

Aug 21, 2012

I received an advance proof copy through a family bookstore, they asked me to read it so I could not only review it online but let them know how heavily to market it and I have to say my answer is, FULL FORCE. This tale of Alyssa Gardner is quirky and a bit warped much like the original tale and reminiscent of Mr. Burton's take (which I feel stays quite true to the original, albeit it seems bizarre to the watcher.) Splintered has it's own twists and turns. While the basis of the novel is very much Carol's world and his rules, Ms. Howard has managed to stay within his lines and yet change the picture completely. I loved this, as it had so many twists and turns. And while it sounds odd, I appreciated that she kept it PG. While watching Alyssa grow up and mature is wonderful, I certainly do not feel comfortable reading about a teenager losing her virginity. And I would never want a young teenager reading about that either. I enjoyed the tug and pull of Morpheus VS Jeb, and the honesty that went into her emotions towards both but that in it she stayed true to herself and what she wanted, never truly letting either sway her from her path. While I spent much of reading the Twilight series loathing Bella and her inability to stand up for herself, make her own choices or even be a 3 dimensional person worth rooting for, I spent all of this book cheering Alyssa on. The title character Alyssa is a good example for young girls reading this book. Resolute, strong, identifiable, and of moral standing, she is worth cheering on and I sincerely hope we have not seen the last of her. I think Wonderland needs more of Alyssa Gardner, at least one to two more trips. At least. Ms. Howard, I commend and congratulate you on your first publishing. I cannot wait to read more from you, no matter what other worlds we find ourselves diving into, rabbit holes or not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Splintered.

August 21, 2012 – Started Reading
August 21, 2012 – Shelved
August 21, 2012 –
page 50
13.48% "So far, amazingly written!"
August 21, 2012 –
page 50
13.48% "So far, amazingly written!"
August 24, 2012 –
page 201
54.18% "Cannot wait for this book to release so everyone can read this."
August 28, 2012 –