SooYoung's Reviews > The Art of Happiness: A Handbook for Living

The Art of Happiness by Dalai Lama XIV

F 50x66
Aug 21, 2012

Read in August, 2012

I'm curious how this book would impact someone with no knowledge of Buddhism/meditation or with a different religious upbringing.

I loved the book, but I'm part of the flock so to speak.

There's a lot of talk about training the mind, and how we cause our own suffering, and the work it takes to end that suffering and have happiness and I think it's all spot on. Does this book hold the answer to how to be happy? I think so. Does that mean you'll instantly be happy after finishing the book? Not at all. But would you have the tools you set your mind right after reading it? Absolutely.

Loved this part, discussing people believing in and respecting different religions:
"Then it's like going to a restaurant--we can all sit down at one table and order different dishes according to one's taste. We might eat different dishes but nobody argues about it."

The antidote to anxiety:
"If there is a solution to the problem, there is no need to worry. If there is no solution, there is no sense in worrying either."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Happiness.