Alex Williams's Reviews > Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy

Bonhoeffer by Eric Metaxas

Aug 21, 2012

This is an incredibly inspiring book. Congratulations to Eric Metaxas for writing a biography that is neither boring nor exaggerated for extra effect.

The story follows Dietrich Bonhoeffer from his birth to what little we know happened in his final days. How anyone, after reading this book, can stand by and watch evil happen and do nothing about it is unimaginable. You will leave the story believing that if he can risk his own life to stand up for God and what is right, there is no excuse to not do the same.

Bonhoeffer is the martyr of the 20th century. Every Christian needs to read this book. To call his story inspiring is an understatement; I found that it changed my perspective on God and possibilities of faith in Him. I came away from the book more impressed than I was with past stories of martyrs, saints, or inspirational leaders, perhaps because of the true evil Bonhoeffer was facing. His understanding of God was remarkable. It's a shame more people don't know about him- maybe if they did, there would be more people willing to stand up for God and what's right.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bonhoeffer.