Peter Jana's Reviews > No Logo

M 50x66
Aug 21, 2012

bookshelves: social-sciences-and-politics, environment-and-consumption
Read from August 21 to October 13, 2012

First time reading it. Should have read it a long time ago. Although dated in some respects - it's pre-9/11, pre Occupy Wall St. - I found it surprisingly relevant; we still live in a branded world and progressive politics still seems infantile and distracted. I was struck by how relevant her insiders critique of the left still is. Her generation is my generation and I remember quite vividly the culture wars of the 90s and how it affected campus life. While "we", with justification, were knee deep in cultural issues like who was being represented on TV shows and how to refer to minority groups, the corporations were preparing the way for the biggest con-job in American history - repealing Glass-Steagall etc.. - , aided and abetted by the Clinton administration. For me this boils down to too much Saussure and not enough Marx. Too much cultural studies and not enough political economy. Power is about many things, but most fundamentally it's about money. You will never address inequality without following the money trail. Who was on the watch when Clinton gutted financial regulations? Klein wasn't, as she admits, and I certainly wasn't. In retrospect, somebody should have been.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Logo.

08/21/2016 marked as: read