Morgan (The Bookish Beagle)'s Reviews > The Raven Boys

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

bookshelves: favorites, paranormal
Read 5 times. Last read January 3, 2018 to January 5, 2018.

5th read: January 3-5, 2018, 5 stars.
An all-time favorite, forever.

4th read: March 27-29, 2016, 5 stars. Make way for the Raven King! This book always feels new when I read it. I love that.

3rd read: June 1st-3rd 2015, 5 stars.
Nothing to add to my existing reviews except that I haven't read a book this many times since Harry Potter or Wuthering Heights. I really really love it, the intricacies of the language and relationships and story threads. It always feels like a new book, a fresh book.

Re-read: September 24-25th 2014, 5 stars.
This book is infinitely better the second time around! I really liked it the first time (my original review is below) but I had problems getting into it and with the ending. I decided to reread because I'm SO excited for Blue Lily, Lily Blue and this is one of those series with an immense amount of detail and nuance. Usually I feel guilty because I have so many unread books waiting their turn but I'm SO GLAD I read The Raven Boys again! Knowing Stiefvater's writing style right off the bat helps, and I loved seeing the fateful twisting of strands bringing Blue and her raven boys together. It was just so enjoyable. And there were a LOT of details and foreshadowing that I missed the first time around! I didn't remember learning anything about Blue's father originally. The ending also makes a lot more sense- I remembered the big points of the book but I had forgotten so much of the delightful in-betweenness that it was practically like reading a new book. 5 big, important, wonderful stars. I love it all, especially the strangeness. Onto The Dream Thieves!

First read: December 5-16th 2012, 4 stars.

This was a weird book for me. I really liked it, but it took me a few days to get into it and I was a bit disappointed with the ending. I was hoping it would stand on its own more than be seen as a trilogy jumping off point. To be honest, I'm curious to see what a series would look like- I felt this could have been a standalone book (if it was longer that is).

That being said, I loved the characters!! They were all incredibly unique, and interesting, and multi-layered. Their interaction with each other was masterfully done and added so much depth to the book. The story was intriguing as well; almost everything about the book, from the tone to the POV to the plot itself was unusual. I liked the mix of mythology and history along with the supernatural. I was mildly uncomfortable the entire time I was reading, waiting for the shoe to drop so to speak. I think it added to the experience of reading a mysterious and somewhat sinister book. I would definitely recommend it- the writing was wonderfully lyrical and I'm so anxious to see where the story will lead!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Raven Boys.

August 20, 2012 – Shelved
December 5, 2012 – Started Reading
December 7, 2012 –
page 29
December 10, 2012 –
page 97
December 15, 2012 –
page 137
33.5% "I like this, but it's slow going for me so far... very interesting though."
December 16, 2012 –