Kathryn (Nine Pages)'s Reviews > Walking Home to Rosie Lee

Walking Home to Rosie Lee by A. LaFaye

Aug 20, 2012

bookshelves: picture-books-picture-storybooks, hollins-alumnae-and-connections, poc, poc-protag
Read in February, 2015 , read count: several at least

First published on my blog, Nine Pages .

A. is a professor of mine. I was in her class when or shortly after this book was released. She read the book aloud to the class and several of us were unable to keep our eyes dry, and while I’m sure some of that is attributable to the emotion that A. as the author put into the characters through her reading, the story remains evocative without the author’s interpretation. Gabe’s is a perspective little covered in texts for any age: the struggle for African Americans, former slaves, after the Civil War. Gabe’s syntax adds life to Gabe’s voice. Heartbreaking and finally uplifting, this is a story I think needs to be told. Gabe’s search for his mother, for family, for love, for home is universal as well as historical. Shepherd’s illustrations are bright and bold. There’s enough detail in the story to illuminate the suffering of African American slaves, but not enough to make it inappropriate for most children, especially on the older end of picture books.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Walking Home to Rosie Lee.

06/09/2016 marked as: read