Michelle Cristiani's Reviews > Fifty Shades Darker

Aug 20, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: erotica
Read in August, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Ewwwwww.

Oh, you think I'm saying that because of all the sex? Nope. I'm saying eww because I can't believe how much sappy sap sap there is in this book. I paraphrase: Please don't ever leave me. No, I won't leave YOU, but don't YOU ever leave ME! You hang up first...no, you. I love you, you are my (insert metaphor here). Did I already ask you not to leave me? Well, please don't. If you don't email me right back, I will call you frantically thinking you are hurt!

The plot is too transparent for me personally. The guy Christian thinks is bad, turns out to be bad. The ex Ana thinks is evil, turns out to be evil. If Christian didn't email Ana back right away, she thinks he is missing, and he is. There is no subtlety here. I kind-of resent being hit over the head so overtly.

Also, I am turned off by a guy who tells his girlfriend whether she can wear a certain dress out of the house. This is so Freudian it's kind-of criminal.

I actually kind-of liked Christian before he got all vanilla and sappy. I don't really mind that all his girls have looked like his mother. Dude - you think YOUR preferences haven't been shaped by your own childhood? It's just not that big of a deal. What I do mind is how BDSM is connected to Christian's emotional baggage, and connected to not one but two crazy ex-lovers. I mind that Ana refers to their new sappy, vanilla lifestyle as 'the light' and his old life as 'the dark.' I am disappointed. I was hoping that this book would champion alternative preferences, instead of demonizing them.

All that said, it's just a book. A typical, second-in-a-trilogy romance book. Oh, you thought this was supposed to be erotica? Sorry, girls, this is romance. Sappy, begging, you-hang-up-first romance. Ewwww.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fifty Shades Darker.

message 1: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Oh Michelle, again, another one of your reviews that I love. I haven't read the book, but this is awesome.