Ciara's Reviews > Eloise: The Ultimate Edition

Eloise by Kay Thompson

Dec 08, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: kids-books, read-in-2008
Recommended for: children, six-year-old girls, very wealthy city children, NYC obsessives
Read in December, 2008

i picked this up as a gift for my niece, who is now six, just like eloise. i had never read the eloise books as a child, for whatever reason. maybe because my parents didn't want me to turn into a brat. i read every book that anyone put down in front of me, including dune, moby dick, & cujo (all before the age of eight), so surely i would have read this if anyone had ever given it to me. eloise is a spoiled rich girl who lives in the penthouse apartment at the plaza hotel in new york. we never see her parents, although we learn that her mother is thirty, has an account at bergdorf's, is friends with coco chanel (the books are set in the mid-50s), & goes to paris a lot. eloise mostly hangs out with her nanny, her dog, her turtle, & a pigeon that visits a lot. & she runs around all over the hotel, palling around with various employees & annoying them & making their jobs more difficult. all of this is outlined in "eloise". in "eloise at christmas," she gives everyone gifts, which is nice. in "eloise in paris," she goes to paris & gets a designer dress & sees the sights & speaks french a lot. in "eloise in moscow," she goes to moscow & is tailed by the KGB & sees bread lines & the former palace & complains incessantly. she is a little bratty. & i can't really get on-board with her mega-privileged lifestyle. but...whatever. these books were okay. i think my niece should be reading more books about spunky young girls & watching a little less TV, so there you go.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eloise.

12/27/2016 marked as: read